4A Computer Science / Combinatorics & Optimization
To obtain employment in the Information Technology sector for the Spring 2003 term, and explore possibilities for full time employment when I graduate in Winter 2004.
Fall 2002 Net
· Played a lead role in the development of the upcoming PhoneIntegrator product: A Vo-IP soft-phone / small-office PBX / PSTN gateway. Deployed the first milestone internally, replacing the existing office phone system. Owned crucial features such as user registration services, the scripting framework, auto-gain algorithm, and the voicemail and auto-attendant agents.
· Did C++ development under Linux, client-server protocol design and implementation over TCP and UDP.
· As part of the company’s “non-directional Fridays” program, I developed a peer-to-peer application which allowed LAN users to coordinate foosball games.
· Introduced bug tracking to the organization. Advocated, installed, ported to MySQL, and then supported the FogBUGZ issue tracking software.
· Received employer evaluation of “Outstanding” on the UW CO-OP scale.
Winter 2002 Mobileairwaves
Wireless Software Developer
· Designed a scheme to compress over-the-air communications from the Aqivo Groupware Server to the Motorola Timeport P935 two-way pager using the Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Implemented it from scratch using C++ on the server side, FlexScript on the client side.
· Developed an installer for the pager client software using Visual C++ 6.0, MFC, and the Motorola Wisdom OS Desktop SDK.
· Eliminated frequent human errors from the client software's manual build process by automating it using cvs, Makefiles and shell scripting.
· Fixed bugs and added features to the product as a member of the client-side team.
2000-2001 Fairtunes Inc.
Co-Founder and CTO
· Conceived, designed and developed the e-commerce web-service www.fairtunes.com using J2EE, Oracle 8i, Apache/Tomcat on Linux.
· Pioneered the voluntary contribution as a way to pay for Internet content. (Think “Amazon Honor System”) Collected and distributed tens of thousands of dollars to artists who make their work available online.
press relations and received media coverage in the New York Times, Wired
Magazine, Time Magazine, and CNN, as well as a front-page feature article in the
Globe and Mail's Report on Business, feature articles in the National Post,
and every other Canadian daily, Slashdot, Wired online, and the Industry
Standard. Gave national and international radio interviews and appeared on
· Created administration software to manage artist contacts, create reports print cheques, and reconcile accounts.
· Handled negotiations for 3 separate investment offers and then sold company to a NY firm in September 2001.
Winter 2001 Mobileairwaves
· Refactored the company’s mobile corporate e-mail application from an Active Server Pages application into COM+ components.
· Researched, developed, and benchmarked prototype Java/COM bridge solutions to connect the J2EE EAI server to Microsoft Exchange message stores.
in a small team to develop a SOAP bridge into Microsoft Exchange server for
the next “
· Developed a C++ COM component to expose the MS CryptoAPI to our Visual Basic application.
Summer 2000 Linnet
· Primary developer of a visual, web-based, housing search tool using Java servlets, JDBC, AutoDesk Mapguide.
· Held regular meetings with the client to discuss application requirements, present progress, and collect feedback.
Summer 1999 The
Mathematics Research Assistant
with Dr. V. Linek on a research paper entitled “Investigating the
· Developed back-tracking software in C to construct the design under investigation.
preliminary findings at the Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference in
· Published results, including a generalized construction, on the WWW.
1999 – present
· Candidate for B.Math., Computer Science & Combinatorics and Optimization double major.
· 4th year standing with >90% math/CS average
· Named to Dean’s Honours List in Fall & Winter 1999, Spring 2002 terms.
1997 - 1999 University
· Candidate for B.Sc in Mathematics.
· Achieved an “A+” major average, “A” overall average.