Roots: born in Sweden — lived also in Switzerland, USA, UK — mixed up genes from Sweden, Norway, India, Germany
Languages: French, English, Swedish, German, Portuguese, Latin, Ada, Perl, Java, assembly languages, Pascal, C/C++, etc.
Roles: entrepreneur, programme manager, methodology lead, quality and risk manager, writer, director of technology, project lead, solutions architect — as well as gardener, factory worker, farmhand, supermarket cleaner, programmer, student, teacher, language lawyer, traveller, soldier, lecturer, software engineer, philosopher, consultant
saudade.The Rough Guide defines it as
a slightly resigned, nostalgic air, and a feeling that the past will always overshadow the possibilities of the future.
Portugal [having lost 2-1 the opening game against Greece] now have to seek some kind of salvation from matches with Russia and Spain. They were whistled off the pitch with a shrill and sibilant derision. This resigned acceptance that nothing can ever quite equal the glories of the past has a beauty and truth about it that really ought to find a place in the rest of Europe's former colonial powers. But it's not the mood a sports psychologist seeks to create in a football team at the start of a leading championship.
- Origins and essence of Apple's Dashboard
- Running between the elephant's legs
- Free markets and innovation
- Copper-extracting bacteria
- Private enterprise into space
- Saudade: Greece defeats Portugal
- The scientific assault on aging
- What is SENS?
- Remember Tiananmen!
- Perl Periodic Table of Operators
- Conceptualizing the Ediacaran period
- Agile software development processes conference
- USD 50+ billion farm subsidies in the Europe Union
- Berkshire betting against the US dollar (and starting to los...
- Abdullah and the Jinn
- US highway deaths
- Environmentalist terrorism
- Digital photography, twice around the sun for me
- Nearing commercial manned suborbital flights
- Potential evidence for Martian microbe-like life
- Three bad books, by Rushdie, McEwan, and Ben Jelloun
- Vaccine against lung cancer
- Why are universities dominated by the Left (i.e. statists an...
- The meaning and future of publishing: paper, electron, creat...
- Musical fuel, every day
- A few notes on Apple and downloadable music
- Some technology-related predictions for 2004
- Moral perfection is a personal endeavour
- Journey to Mars (still hoping)
- U.S. National Debt Clock
- People puzzling over questions answered long ago
- Mars panorama
- What I read in 2003
- Terabyte Watch
- Objective Mars