Tutorial: Using FrontPage with Radio Weblogs
How to Create a Custom Hit Counter
To create a custom image for the FrontPage hit counter, follow these steps:
After you create the image, import the image into your FrontPage Web. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open any image editing program that is capable of saving files as .GIF images, such as Microsoft Image composer.
Note: The hit counter works only with .GIF images.
- Create an image that is 200 pixels wide and 40 pixels high.
- Evenly place text for the numbers 0 through 9 from left to right.
If your image editor program has the ability to place a grid on the
image, you may want to use this feature to better align the text. In this example, the graphic for each number is 20 pixels wide.
The numbers should be lined up as follows:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
- After you are satisfied with the look and alignment of your image, save the image as a .GIF image. For the file name, use "Counter.gif" (without the quotation marks).
The file has been imported to your Web; however, you must add a counter to your page.
- Open your Web in FrontPage.
- In Folders view, make sure that your images folder is the open folder. If it is not, click the folder in the All Folders pane to open it.
- On the File menu, click Import.
- In the "Import" dialog box, click Add File.
- In the "Add File to Import List" dialog box, locate the Counter.gif file on your hard disk, select the file, and click Open.
- In the "Import File to FrontPage Web" dialog box, click OK.
To add the counter to your page, follow these steps:
NOTE: You may have to edit the image in your image editing program several times to get the placement and look of the numbers correct. The size of the image does not matter to the hit counter, but it is a good idea to create images that have widths that are divisible by 10.
- In Page view, open the page you want to use the counter on.
- Click your page to place the insertion point in the location in which you want the hit counter to appear.
- On the Insert menu, click Component, and click Hit Counter.
- In the Hit Counter Properties dialog box, click Custom Image.
- In the Custom Image text box, type "images/counter.gif" (without the quotation marks).
- Save the page.
- To test the counter, click File, and click Preview In Browser.
Example: 100 pixels, 200 pixels, 300 pixels.
© Copyright 2003 David Berry.
Last update: 1/20/2003; 8:25:46 PM.
All products and company names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Microsoft® and FrontPage® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.