The grapevine along the front of the house has produced an abundance of grapes again this year. The only problem is they are all ready at the same time and I can only eat a fraction of the crop. The rest get left for the birds, and then... the wasps.
What's left of this years crop is now starting to drop from the vine all over the porch. I sweep it off every morning and evening, but one shake of the vine brings another load of over-ripe grapes onto the deck, along with dozens of 'drunk' wasps. They get stuck into a grape and gorge themselves into a stuper. Once shaken from their grape they land on the porch unable to fly, or even get off their backs. They just lay there happyily back-spining on the spot in a drunken comedy of errors. They can still sting in this state how-ever, as I found out three times today. This morning one of the little bastards decided to pass out in my sandle and stung me in the left foot when I got up to walk away. I then proceded to sprain my thumb by catching it on my sandle strap in my panic to brush it away! Later this afternoon I was cleaning the porch (again) when I bumped the vine with the broom handle. A rain of grapes and wasps left me with two more stings on my right forearm! Dam violent drunks!
I have resolved to put on 12 layers of clothing tommorrow and prune that vine!