Today I've been reading the McGillicuddy Serious Party - 1999 Election Manifesto. Now this is a political party with some serious policies! The idea central to all their policies is The Great Leap Backwards, which is a 450 year plan to take us back to the good old days.
They promise to
- abolish Parliament and sack all MP's.
- Ban electricity, outlaw money (love it) and ship all modern technology overseas to pay off debts.
- Cease all imports and exports.
- Establish a network of semi-autonomous Clan's and Tribes.
- Crown Bonnie Prince Geoffie, King of New Zealand.
This whole manifesto is inspired. Some highlights...
- Defence policy which involves moving the international dateline to the West of NZ to confuse would-be invaders. They would show up 24 hours early giving us plenty of time to hide in the hills or negotiate.
- A new economic formulae called "The Reducing Lunar Sand Standard" (just go read it!)
- It even has a sealed section (in the printed version) containing the hidden agendas of the party, labelled "Do not open until after the 1999 general election".
The strange thing is that even after laughing my way through the whole manifesto, it had a ring of truth to it. It kind of made sense, in an infectiously humorous way.