Roots: born in Sweden — lived also in Switzerland, USA, UK — mixed up genes from Sweden, Norway, India, Germany
Languages: French, English, Swedish, German, Portuguese, Latin, Ada, Perl, Java, assembly languages, Pascal, C/C++, etc.
Roles: entrepreneur, programme manager, methodology lead, quality and risk manager, writer, director of technology, project lead, solutions architect — as well as gardener, factory worker, farmhand, supermarket cleaner, programmer, student, teacher, language lawyer, traveller, soldier, lecturer, software engineer, philosopher, consultant
In the nearly three years since the technology bubble burst, the use of L-1 visas to bring in workers — with a large percentage from India — has become a popular strategy among firms seeking to cut labor costs. The number of these temporary visas granted rose nearly 40 percent to 57,700 in 2002 from 41,739 in 1999.
The visas are intended to allow companies to transfer employees from a foreign branch or subsidiary to company offices in the United States. But they are now routinely used by companies based in India and elsewhere to bring their workers into the United States and then contract them out to American companies...
During the boom years, the technology industries successfully lobbied Congress to expand the number of foreign software engineers who could be permitted to fill programming needs in the United States. In 2000, Congress increased the annual cap on more restrictive temporary visas [~] known as H-1B visas [~] for highly skilled foreign workers to 195,000 from 115,000. That quota will drop automatically to 65,000 on Oct. 1 unless Congress approves an extension, a move that is considered unlikely.
In the last two years, the trend in the use of H-1B visas has declined sharply. Many experts say the use of L-1 visas will grow. Unlike the H-1B visa, the L-1 does not require employers to pay workers prevailing wages. In addition, there is no cap on the number of L-1 visas. ...in many cases, existing technology employees are asked to train their replacements. The L-1 visa requires that the foreign workers possess specialized knowledge of the work to be done.
- Orang Asli, the first colonizers
- Submission, also known as Islam
- Stress situations improve memory recall, and impair problem-...
- Drink red wine for health!
- Well met, Hobbit! (aka Homo floresiensis)
- 150 million online songs, and counting
- Not for bread alone
- The growing American prosperity
- What is a Plog?
- Give me liberty, or give me death!
- Anacreontic hymn
- Origins and essence of Apple's Dashboard
- Running between the elephant's legs
- Free markets and innovation
- Copper-extracting bacteria
- Private enterprise into space
- Saudade: Greece defeats Portugal
- The scientific assault on aging
- What is SENS?
- Remember Tiananmen!
- Perl Periodic Table of Operators
- Conceptualizing the Ediacaran period
- Agile software development processes conference
- USD 50+ billion farm subsidies in the Europe Union
- Berkshire betting against the US dollar (and starting to los...
- Abdullah and the Jinn
- US highway deaths
- Environmentalist terrorism
- Digital photography, twice around the sun for me
- Nearing commercial manned suborbital flights
- Potential evidence for Martian microbe-like life
- Three bad books, by Rushdie, McEwan, and Ben Jelloun
- Vaccine against lung cancer
- Why are universities dominated by the Left (i.e. statists an...
- The meaning and future of publishing: paper, electron, creat...
- Musical fuel, every day