Everything about Billy Bragg
Stratford Upon Avon
October 12th, 2003
Latin abbreviations in Medicine (Pharmacology)
- a.c. - ante cibum (before food)
- b.d. - bis die (twice daily)
- o.d. - omni die (daily)
- o.m. - omni mane (in the morning)
- o.n. - omni nocte (at night)
- p.c. - post cibum (after food)
- p.r.n. - pro ne rata (when required)
- q.d.s. - quater die sumendus (four times daily)
- q.q.h. - quarta quaque hora (every four hours)
- stat- immediately
- t.d.s. - ter die sumendus (three times daily)
Serving no known purpose-
24-30 October, 2003
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in a final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed - those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone - it is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Since wars begin in the minds of [people], it is in the minds of [people] that we have to erect the ramparts of peace.
Heaven knows what a sample from myself would turn up. I do understand his upset but tests such as this should not be taken lightly. Any procedure may result in a less than satisfactory outcome. It says he was of Creole stock. Well, there was bound to be some surprises there then.
Genetic testing brings up many ethical dilemmas which medical ethicists love Especially those teaching medical undergraduates. Not that I would ever tell them, I love these tests. The results on paper are one thing and carry their own consequences. What I find just as interesting are the motives behind taking such a test. Were the results to be a badge of honour?
I see only medical referrals for such genetic testing, for family screening of serious genetic diseases. This means a lot of sick, scared people trying to decipher pedigree trees and the nuances of different tests. Perhaps I am simply jaded. He has his health as far as I can gather. He can see the sunset (retinitis pigmentosa) and eat with impunity (cystic fibrosis). He has no obvious skeletal deformity (I've not seen a picture) and any abnormality of gait is brought on by a bit of over-indulgence.
I notice his father has a spot on attitude. I may not be in Rugby, but it travels with me wherever I go. The values and beliefs I was raised with do so likewise.
My point is towfold-
1) Now he knows, why does said knowledge have to be a bad thing? Sheesh, it's nearly 2004 is it not? You are not defined by what others think of you and a rose is always a rose. Always.
2) You're fit and healthy. You have many nice and wonderful things. We all do. Go out into the autumn sunshine and live.
[Macro error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name "comment" hasn't been defined.]