Updated: 9/24/02; 2:47:53 AM.
Jake's Radio 'Blog


Wednesday, May 22, 2002

22:50'00    comment []

NYT: Police Chief Says Human Remains Are Chandra Ann Levy's. "The speculation linking the remains found today to Ms. Levy, was likely due to the spot where they were found. The skeletal remains were discovered in an area where Ms. Levy had been known to frequently jog. Police searched Rock Creek Park, which is heavily wooded, on several occasions last summer after Ms. Levy was reported missing, but said they turned up nothing on the case."
15:26'54    comment []

Chandra Levy's Body Found

CNN.com: "The skeletal remains found in a Washington park Wednesday morning have been identified as those of former Washington intern Chandra Levy, Washington Police Chief Charles Ramsey said...

"A man walking his dog and looking for turtles in the park found the remains about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Ramsey told reporters earlier. He said the discovery included a skull and that "bits and pieces" of what appeared to be women's clothing" were found."

Maybe now there's some possibility that they'll find the scumbag that killed her.
15:11'04    comment []

Yesterday I was testing upstreaming from Radio to RCS using SOAP, and I made an interesting discovery: It didn't work.

After a bit of debugging, I discovered the problem. There was a parameter name mismatch. Radio was sending requests with a parameter named "email", but the server expected a parameter named "usernum" instead.

A little research revealed this note by Dave, from October, 2001: "Many of the routines take a parameter named email. Implementors may use email addresses to identify users. However, to interop with other xmlStorageSystem applications, you must not assume that it is an email address. Since SOAP uses named parameters, changing the name of these parameters to something more neutral like "userid" would break applications."

What happened it seems, is that at some point during the development of RCS, the email parameter changed its name to usernum, which would make sense internally, but broke upstreaming when using SOAP.

Obviously, we can't change the parameter name for requests that Radio sends to RCS, because this would break its connection to any other xmlStorageSystem implementation that the now thousands of Radio users may be talking to. The change has to be made on the server-side.

Fortunately, current users who are upstreaming to RCS are using XML-RPC, which doesn't care about parameter names. This is a good thing, since changing the name of the parameter that the server expects won't break any existing users.

So today a small change was made to RCS, that fixes SOAP-based upstreaming: The parameter names changed back to "email" again.

Now I can go make some wiredumps.
14:02'28    comment []

© Copyright 2002 Jake Savin.
May 2002
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Apr   Jun

Radio Stuff


Subscribe to "Jake's Radio 'Blog" in Radio UserLand. Click to see the XML version of this web page.
Click here to send an email to the editor of this weblog.

Click on the coffee mug to add Jake Savin's Instant Outline to your Radio UserLand buddy list.


Click here to visit the Radio UserLand website.