Frost and Sullivan are a technology research firm that is marketing their business opportunity research. You can obtain their piece on state and local government for 2,450 dollars.
According to their research, "some of the top telecom and IT opportunities in the state and local government vertical" include the following:
- Outsourcing of Network and Computer Systems, as Well as Managed Services to Deal with Decline in IT Staff and Keep Up With Change in technology
- Wireless Public Safety Communications Solutions to Target the Issue of Interoperability in Emergency Communications
- Solutions that Promote Cost Savings, Consolidation, Integration, and More Efficient telephony and IT Systems
- Web Portal Services and High-Speed bandwidth to Provide Citizen Services via a Government Website
- VPN Services and Web-Based Access to Remotely Connect to View Government Records, Database
- Consulting and Assistance with Obtaining Funds, Filling out Applications for Grants, and Managing the Funding Process for technology Purchases
- Solutions to Enhance Interagency and Intergovernmental Communications (i.e. Intranets/Extranets, Web Portals, Remote Access, Integration of Systems)
They're exactly right. At least, those are among the top issues in Utah right now.