Astronomical Surface Decorations on Ceramics, Japan part XI
With the assist from John Neely, I have some Japanese terms to help look up these sorts of things. (My interpretation of what John said:)
On my own, I found Morgan Pitelka's glossary of Japanese ceramic terms. Using these with those above may be helpful-
- junishi - modern usaged for the 12 zodiac animals imported from China.
- tenmon - astronomy (heaven pattern)
- tenmongaku - astronomy (study of heaven pattern.)
- senseijutus - western astrology (divining by stars technique)
- seiza - constellation
- monyou - pattern
- seishin - star dragon worshipped in early Japanese religion
We'll be firing up the old search engine tomorrow...
- tamba - Japanese ceramic ware
- tôgei - ceramic arts
- tôji - ceramics
- yakimono - pottery