Key IT governance issues presented to the Utah Technology Commission last Thursday (these issues were identified in meetings with IT Directors, ITS managers, the CIO, and Ernie Nielsen):
- Standards / Coordination Setting
- What should a central provider look like?
- Interoperability of all applications is critical - focus on open standard such as XML
- Business Directors group similar to IT Directors needs to be set up and liaison with...
- ITS Customer Board - a formal feedback mechanism is critical
- Enterprise Projects & Funding
- Value based, strategically alligned, and flexible - organizational eProject (management) goals
- Federal Money / Grants / Year end money - Need coordination via CIO's office (larger staff)
- Data Capture is standardized - similar to Automated Geographic Information Center
- Legislative Tracking Process - PLANS, BUDGET, PROJECT OVERSIGHT
Jon Ball spent a few minute explaining that there was already a model in place for funding enterprise projects. He reviewed Y2K, how it was funded and managed as an enterprise. (Y2K funding was all appropriated to the Division of Finance and then allocated and tracked through a cooperative effort between the CIO's office and the Dept. of Administrative Services.