Thursday, April 22, 2004
Since I got back from vacation on Monday, I have received exactly zero
e-mail notifications of comments that have been posted. The system has
been working fine since it went on line last September, and now it's
Color me pissed.
So... unless this starts working by Saturday, I'm going to disable the
Radio commenting system & set up Haloscan for comments, since for a mere $12 a year, I can get my comments e-mailed to me by them, and from what I've seen, Haloscan is both fast and reliable.
Does anyone using Haloscan use the "e-mail notification of comments" feature and have any opinions on it?
And yes, I know, "come to MuNu".
posted by Harvey at 7:43:30 PM permalink HOME
TODAY'S LOVE NOTE
I love your passion, you make me respond so easily. I feel your touch.
I become so alive at the sound of your voice. I want to lay beside you
'til the end of time.
posted by Harvey at 7:25:28 PM permalink HOME
Presidential Fun Fact:
In 1789, George Washington invented the world's first horrifyingly tacky leisure suit.
posted by Harvey at 7:22:42 PM permalink HOME
Having finished my daily blogrounds, I poked around the Ecosystem to see what was new. Turns out that the Ecosystem finally cracked the 10,000 mark, so a big congrats to the Bear on that one.
Out of curiosity, I peeked at #10,000. Turns out that (for today) it's Basia Me, Catholica Sum,
run by an 18-year old lass by the name of Meredith. Mostly it's about
Catholicism and literature, but since there's also a link to the Lord of the Rings Spoofs page, I suspect her of having a charming sense of humor.
But the real reason I'm bringing this up is that her first post (sadly, permalinks appear to be blogspotted already, so 4-19 CTRL+F "PERIGEUX") has an interesting passage from Belloc.
Now, me, I'm sort of a techno-geek. I frequently find myself in numb
awe at the ability of man's mind to create such compact and practical
wonders as the PDA and cell phone. It's a sense of reverence for human
ingenuity that borders on worship. The passage in question refers to a
low-tech creation: a church. However, the sense of
kneeling-with-cap-in-hand adoration of the achievement struck a chord
in me, so I wanted to share it:
Now the cathedral of St. Front in
Perigeux of the Perigord is the most surprising thing in Europe. It is
much more surprising than the hills-for a man made it. Man made it
hundreds and hundreds of years ago; man has added to it, and, by the
grace of his enthusiasm and his disciplined zeal, man has (thank God!)
scraped, remodelled, and restored it. Upon my soul, to see such a thing
I was proud to be an Anthropoid, and to claim cousinship with those
dark citizens of the Dordogne and of Garonne and of the Tarn and of the
Lot, and of whatever rivers fall into the Gironde. I know very well
that they have sweated to indoctrinate, to persecute, to trim, to
improve, to exterminate, to lift up, to cast down, to annoy, to amuse,
to exasperate, to please, to enmusic, to offend, to glorify their kind.
In some of these energies of theirs I blame them, in others I praise;
but it is plainly evident that they know how to binge. I wished (for a
moment) to be altogether of their race, like that strong cavalry man of
their race to whom they have put up a statue pointing to his wooden
leg. What an incredible people to build such an incredible church!
The whole essay (which Meredith quotes) is worth reading, but that part in particular just gave me warm-thrilled-shivers.
posted by Harvey at 7:11:10 PM permalink HOME
OH YES IT'S LADIES NIGHT
Blogless Beloved Wife forwarded this to me, and since I have an inordinate supply of female readers, I thought I'd post it:
15 PIECES OF ADVICE TO BE PASSED ON TO YOUR DAUGHTERS
1. Don't imagine you can change a man -- unless he's in diapers.
2. What do you do if your boyfriend walks-out? You shut the door.
3. If they put a man on the moon -- they should be able to put them all up there.
4. Never let your man's mind wander-- it's too little to be out alone.
5. Go for younger men. You might as well -- they never mature anyway.
6. Men are all the same -- they just have different faces so that you can tell them apart.
7. Definition of a bachelor; a man who has missed the opportunity to make some woman miserable.
8. Women don't make fools of men -- most of them are the do-it-yourself types.
9. Best way to get a man to do something, is to suggest he is too old for it.
10. Love is blind, but marriage is a real eye-opener.
11. If you want a committed man, look in a mental hospital.
12. The children of Israel wandered around the desert for 40 years. Even in biblical times, men wouldn't ask for directions.
13. If he asks what sort of books you're interested in, tell him checkbooks.
14. Remember a sense of humor does not mean that you tell him jokes, it means that you laugh at his.
15. Sadly, all men are created equal.
posted by Harvey at 7:04:38 PM permalink HOME
© Copyright 2005 Harvey Olson.
Last update: 9/10/2005; 5:04:21 PM.